Thursday, March 6, 2008

"Dead Man's Cell Phone" Review

Charles Isherwood’s review in Wednesday’s Times, “A Nagging Call to Tidy Up an Unfinished Life,” is very creatively written, using a cell phone as an underlying theme to tie his entire article together. I thought his lede was great, starting out by describing cell phones as the thing that you have to turn off before you go to the theatre, in his review of a play about a cell phone. Since this was a very new play that not very many people have heard of yet, Isherwood made the wise decision to start of his review with a plot summary and saved the majority of his commentary for the end of the article. I think that Isherwood generally liked the play, but he didn’t mention his “but” until about halfway through the article. He used a lot of really good imagery in his writing and described Mary Louise Parker’s clothes and the way she was standing on stage so well that it was easy to imagine exactly what the show was like. The reference to Dickens at the end of the article gave it a good sense of closure and tied the kicker back in to the theme of cell phones he used for the whole article.

2 comments:

K04JK03 said...

I also like the theme and how it really tied the piece together.

allen207 said...

It is funny that your review is on this piece my critical response is on Mary Louise Parker and her return to the stage. Ms. Parker is widely praised with rave after rave for her stage performances, and I think her true character and skill as an actress come across best on stage rather than in the small screen. I liked your review and am glad to hear that the play is doing well.

Further it is ironic that we now center plays around a cell phone and the array of citations that it can cause. I mean just imagine having a dead man's cell phone and taking calls and listening to the people that knew this man. What a great story line. I am interested just thinking about the topic. I hope I get the chance to see the play.